Friday, February 1, 2013

All in a Days Work


Photo: While filming in the Lab, I mentioned I was O+ blood type. #allinadayswork #savinglives 

In the past 15 days, I've been able to shoot for 5 different productions. When I'm not shooting or traveling to a location, I'm editing. 8-10 hours a day, I'm working to tell the amazing stories that I'm running across here in Cote d'Ivoire.
I love it!

But life isn't just work. There are meals to make and share, trips to the market, conversations over tea, and all of the little events of life that happen without anyone planning them. For example, While filming with a doctor doing out-patient consultations, he asked me if I could help him set up his new laptop. So between patients we walked through the steps together. Yesterday, I got a phone call while making dinner. "We have a patient who needs blood but we are low on her blood type, O+. Earlier today you said you were O+, could you come down and donate?" I did. A couple of days ago one of the staff members said to me, "I make videos too, but I'm not a professional. Could you help me with some problems I'm having?" So I spent an hour that evening sitting and talking about compression ratios and proper file formats. None of this was on the production schedule, well at least not mine.

A constant question for me as I shoot, produce, and go through life is, "God, where are you at? What are you doing here?" It's tempting to think that a God who created the universe, raises the dead, and controls all of reality is ONLY doing those kind of "block-buster" activities. It's easy to see Him in a miraculous healing, a witch-doctor leaving animism to follow Jesus, or even in the events of production coming together perfectly. But those little things, those unplanned life events, so small that it's difficult to even describe them, is He there?

I came here to produce videos and tell the story of what God is doing. But somehow I can't help but think that in God's infinitely more detailed production schedule, these little events are all written in.

1 comment:

  1. So true Drew. In ministry we don't often get block-buster events. I think its the day to day faithfulness that the Lord is looking for. But he is able to use even the most mondain moments for his glory(even though most of the time I miss it).

    ReplyDelete